From Our Table To Yours
For many, baking is not only a creative and often meditative endeavour it's perfectly suited to deliciously celebrating occasions with loved ones. However, in light of recent impediments upon our access and movement, we've reacquainted ourselves with those trusted pastimes. To celebrate the Easter weekend, we look to the Turnbull & Asser team for inspiring recipes.
To mark the Bank Holiday, our bespoke pattern-cutter, George Atanasias, generously introduced us to his most-cherished family recipe; his mother's legendary Easter Cake. We invite you to try the recipe out for yourself in the coming days and, for those of your that are able, share the results with us on Instagram.
350g flour (this recipe calls for brown flour, but use what you have to hand)
baking powder (75g when working with brown flour, 2 teaspoons if used with plain flour)
150g caster sugar
150g organic butter
2 organic eggs and 1 additional egg yolk
275ml of oat milk
100g ground pistachios
1 tsp almond extract
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1. First, preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
2. Next, prepare your cake tin with either butter or baking parchment. For this recipe, we'd thoroughly recommend using round 23cm diameter tin.
3. Next, combine all of the ingredients into a large bowl, ensuring you sift the flour to maintain a light texture.
4. Mix the ingredients using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon.
5. Once the ingredients are evenly mixed, the batter is ready. Take care not to overwork your mixture, as this will reduce the quality of the texture.
6. Carefully empty your mixture into your pre-prepared cake tin. We recommend doing this from a low height to ensure you avoid knocking any much-needed air out from the mixture.
7. Place in a preheated oven for 30 minutes until cooked. You can test this by inserting a clean knife into the cake, once removed, no mixture will remain on the blade if fully cooked.
8. Once cooked, remove the cake from the oven, remove it from the tin and allow it to cool.
9. Once cooled, decorate your cake in an Easter-inspired design. We've opted for a water icing glaze and roughly chopped pistachios to finish.
10. Once decorated, share it on Instagram tagging @turnbull_asser, cut, serve and enjoy.